Monday, November 19, 2007

Behind the Scenes - Jilly's Comes Downtown

Jill Barnes, an established regional artist, recently featured during "AhFest", has moved her gallery downtown Muskegon and is open at 471 W. Western. She is leasing space from the County Museum that previously housed the Museum Mercantile, next to Sun, Wind and Rain. She is already open, but is planning a Re-Opening Celebration December 7 and 8 with refreshments and live music during business hours. While Jill has worked on many a deadline preparing for art shows and the like, the rush to get the space ready for opening was hectic and we are glad she took a few minutes to brief Main Street on the move.

MS: Tell us a little about yourself and your story as an artist?.

JB: I have created art as long as I can remember. As a child I can remember sculpting ducks out of my mothers pie dough, it was baked in the oven and then treasured. At that time my parents and I had no idea it was my true gift and love from God. I favored drawing and painting through out my school years. I loved studying nature, light and shadow. After high school I attended a few classes at Muskegon Community College. My husband John encouraged me to attend Kendall College of Art and Design in Grand Rapids. There, I worked with many mediums with great success. I had work accepted to the Society of Illustrators and graduated from Kendall College of Art with honors and at the top of my class. I worked as a freelance artist for the next year and began showing at juried art shows. Three years ago I opened Jilly’s on Lakeshore drive.

MS: What makes you excited to be moving downtown?

JB: I grew up with Petulia Clark's song Downtown and watching downtown Muskegon come back now, it is hard not to be excited. When looking for a new location for my business the positive energy and commitment of others in the area was hard to resist.

MS: What can people expect if they stop by your new location?

JB: A friendly smile, one of a kind pieces, and heat. I have created all the work in the gallery but because I use a wide variety of medias and subject matter it is ever changing. You can find a pair of simple Dichroic earings or a layered Fused glass wall mural. Driftwood sculptures and some quirky displays makes time sneak by while you're looking at my whimsical clay.

MS: How do you see art fitting into the future of Downtown Muskegon?

JB: It’s a must. More gallerys, and a variety of artists are a necessity. I feel with our Museums and Historical homes that, "Wow, the potential is unlimited". I hope to see more public sculptures to interact with. The piece in the front of the post office gives me great joy and hope.

MS: I know you were involved with the Synergy group of downtown retailers. What kind of future activities do you see Synergy undertaking?

JB:I would love to see the group work on an early spring effort of an art project. “Plein Air” An outdoor event to watch artist do their thing. It can be a day for a family to see everything from fudge being made to, hair being cut, painting, sculpture, carving…a day to get the community used to seeing the truly wonderful talent Muskegon has.

MS: Well, we’ll be sure to check out your Re-Opening Celebration December 7 and 8 and it’s great to have you downtown, with the obvious talent and enthusiasm you bring. Looking forward to your success!

JB: Thank you ! I feel like singing out, "I’m Downtown la la la laa la la".


Check it out on the web

Jilly’s Gallery
Petula Clark singing Downtown

1 Comments:

At 8:53 AM , Blogger Q-Tee said...

Jill
I can't wait to see your new place!
I hope to come home and paint at the Muskegon Summerfest. COngratulations on your continued success and Hapy Thanksgiving!
Love ya Terri

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home