Thursday, December 17, 2009

Behind the Scenes – Downtown Community Comes Together

The downtown community is made up of great business/organization participants, residents, patrons, and church goers. You may be surprised by that last one, but it certainly can’t be argued that many who attend a downtown religious community have made significant downtown contributions, and that the communities as a whole have done commendable jobs of maintaining beautiful historic buildings and creating outward looking communities helping the greater Muskegon community. St. Paul’s Episcopal Church is one such congregation, and one of its members, Carla Rae Neading, is the organizer of the third Annual New Year’s Eve Day Blood Drive in honor of her husband Steve Neading, exemplifying one way a downtown church and parishioner is bettering Muskegon during this holiday season.

MS: First tell us a bit of your story and how it led to you organizing blood drives?

CRN: My husband Steve became ill in May of 2006, and has been fighting since then. I had always been a blood donor, until Steve's illness stopped me from donating. Then Steve needed a blood transfusion and it all hit home. I knew I had to do all I could to help the Red Cross in the Gift of Life. I contacted Todd Woodard, of the Red Cross to see what I could do to organize a drive myself. I then contacted St. Paul's, my home church to see if the church facilities could be used for this type of activity. I felt I needed a place of comfort and healing for friends and family to feel they where truly helping Steve and I. People were wanting to help us and I wasn't yet ready to express what we were needing, so this was a way I could not only help Steve but also the community at whole .

MS: Quite a story, could you tell us how St. Paul’s has been a partner in these?

CRN: Deacon Lilly Marx helped organize the first event, along with my extended church family. The congregation stepped forward to help in all aspects that a Blood Drive entails. From unloading equipment to canteen services, helping people feel comfortable (as most who came to the first Blood Drive were first time donors) and also keeping me lifted in their prayers. Of course, the Red Cross has been a terrific partner as well.

MS: What is your goal for the upcoming drive and what are the details that downtown supporters who want to participate should be aware of?

CRN: My goal is to provide as many units of Blood as I can to the Red Cross. Our goal is 44 units; it truly is the gift of Life. We try to do all we can for our donors, this year we will be providing homemade soups and bread to all donors. Members of our own Guitar Ensemble will be playing throughout the day. If you like to volunteer Please contact Sally Carmean @ 231-719-9184 or the church @ 231-722-2112, If there is someone who has never been inside St Paul's I am sure we can provide a guided tour through our beautiful faculty, that is sure to warm your heart also.

MS: Why should folks consider donating blood?

CRN: What a feeling it is when you donate to know you have saved 3 lives. When you are on the receiving end of that gift it truly hits home. To end your year knowing you have given the gift of Life is a great way to begin the New Year. If anyone is a first time donor know I will be there all day to help. The first time I donated I was a little scared and once it was over what a feeling I had to know I saved 3 lives with a gift that cost me nothing but a little time.

MS: Well, it’s a real credit to you and Steve that you continue to fight and still take on projects like the upcoming blood drive for the downtown community to participate in, especially around this holiday time.

CRN: Thank you in advance to any and all who participate. Steve and I are blessed to live in this community as it continues to lift us in prayer and push us as we sometimes need a little help to see the light at the end of this journey. God's Blessings.

Check it out on the web

Blood Drive PDF Flier to pass on by Email
Chronicle editorial on Steve and Carla’s story

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home