Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Behind the Scenes – LaBrae's Shoes

The Third Street corridor continues to attract budding retail entre- preneurs. The most recent entrepre-
neur using the corridor as a launching pad is Mario Stevenson, a Muskegon native who has made his way back home to make a positive difference in the neighborhood he grew up in. Muskegon Main Street caught up with Mario to hear more about his business, and the change he is hoping to be a seed for.

MS: I understand you grew up in this neighborhood and have a lot of memories of the Third St corridor. Could you share a few of those?.

MS: My memories of the area include running through the neighborhood playing with my friends, shooting baskets at Craig school and going up to St.Joes for the after school activities. I also remember the stores along Third Street which included restaurants and a small grocery store. I have always seen the beauty within the area and having always felt like the downtown area was always getting a bad rap. I lived in the area a long time and know many downtown residents personally. I can attest to the fact that many are hard working honest people. I also love the look and feel of the area with many of the homes and businesses having the look of a previous time.

MS: And now that you’re back in town you saw a need to get involved in your old neighborhood. What inspired that?

MS: Well, I decided to go into business first and when I started looking for a store front I had no idea my present location was available. To discover that it was available was great as I knew from the beginning I wanted to be part of the new downtown. And I see that new downtown taking in a larger area than some might think, including Third St south of Muskegon Avenue.

MS: Well, starting a business is a great way to get involved. Tell us a bit about your business.

MS: I own and operate a discount shoe store. I scour the country looking for deals that I can pass on to my customers. Lady’s shoes are priced at $20 and under and men’s shoes are priced at $25 and under. Growing up I remember my mother couldn't always afford to buy all five of us kids shoes so we went without sometimes. I don't want anyone to feel like that and so my shoes are priced the way they are to hopefully make it easy for everyone to have stylish shoes.

MS: You are located in the old Betten Body Shop location at 1144 Third. I know the new owners have some exciting plans for the property and the buildings and you are a part of that. Could you tell us little bit about their efforts?

MS: Yes, a group of gentleman have formed a business called the EMC group and I know they have the same vision as I, which is the revitalization of the downtown area. They bring a professionalism to their property managment that that is infectious. Also they have some great ideas that may include a mega mall and potentially some other tenants in the building as well. A business called Body Builders Custom Cars just opened in the building and they are doing body repair at an exellent price.

MS: Well, it is great to see continued entrepreneurial development on Third Street. Thanks for being a part of it and we wish you the best in your

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home