Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Behind the Scenes - Theater to Benefit Women’s Club Restoration

The Muskegon Women’s Club was founded in 1890 and is housed in one of downtown Muskegon’s most historic buildings, built in 1902. After many years of activities using the building aimed at the "improvement and development" of women, the building is in need of some renovation. Thankfully a new generation of women active in downtown, and the community, are stepping forward to see that the Women’s Club remain a viable institution into the future. One of those visionary women is Sherri Slater of Sun, Wind, and Rain and Muskegon Main Street chatted with Sherri about the importance of the club and the upcoming event "Dorothy Parker" to benefit the club and allow renovations to begin. The show will be run Saturday and Sunday this weekend with complete details available here

MS: How did you get involved with the Woman’s Club and what do you see as the Club’s role in the Muskegon community?

SS: First of all I was asked by Mary Jamieson to do this fund raiser and I feel so fortunate because in the process I have fallen in love with the building. The Woman’s Club use to have quite a literary series as well and Dorothy Parker kind of kicks off the revival of the reinvented version of the series. I see endless potential for literary events to happen in this space. It’s perfect for it.

Photo above right provided by the Muskegon County Museum. Caption: The ladies of the Women's Club are dressed for a stage play of the "Ladies of Cranford", 1898.

MS: Tell us a little more about the building and the renovations that are needed and their importance for the community.

SS: It is truly an incredible space and it calls you to think up wonderfully creative things to do in it. Its amazing to me that its been on this corner since 1902 and I’d never given it much thought. They are planning an interior make over which will make it more inviting than ever. Structurally I’m not for certain what the plans are. But it is a community center in the truest sense of the word. It has an elegant parlor, an impressive grand room perfect for dancing (which already happens on Tuesday and Thursday nights!) and all sorts of other usages with a charming stage, ideal for recitals, plays(!), poetry readings, conferences, guest speakers etc. It has an upstairs complete with a Juliet balcony and wonderful kitchen facilities.

MS: And you had an idea to help move the club to its renovation goal. Tell us about that brainchild.

SS: Well Mary found out somehow that I had this play I wrote in my drawer…and she said, “…bring that puppy out and do it for us!” After gentle persistent persuasion and a suitably soft bat…I agreed. And I am so glad I did. So I’m very thankful to Mary for her encouragement. I think we all need to encourage each other to move out of our comfort zones into the wild and wooly places where the unexpected happens.

MS: What was the inspiration behind your muse? Anything else you want to share about the performance?

SS: I didn’t know Dorothy Parker before I started on this journey but its been a heck of a ride… and although she says that ‘gratitude’ is the most insipid word in the English language I can’t help but be grateful to her for providing such rich material to explore. I’ve had so much fun working on this project. I feel like a kid in a candy store…..because I get to work with such pros! For one thing I’ve been directed by committee…( I don’t know how I got so lucky!) the famous and hugely talented creative team of Wahamaki/Wahamaki..(that is Sheila and Kirk of course) and Tom Harryman…who is The Renascence Man of All Seasons and endlessly talented! Anette Buchholz, our graphic designer, who’s ability and talent would fill tomes, Sue Kellogg, creative costumer extraordinaire and Rich Oman…who is the lighting man of all times. So if this doesn’t go over….i can’t look anywhere but in the mirror! Also the set is being provided by Stacie Heggs from Heggs furniture…it’s a beautiful set! We have a very talented community! And Mary Jamieson is truly amazing and is basically the producer of this event along with her other board members headed by Roberta Lorenz who is the President of the Woman’s Club. It’s been a wonderful project to work on.

MS: Your dedication is definitely appreciated. Both with this project which is a win-win for the community by encouraging creativity and the arts, as well as for your work at Sun, Wind, and Rain which exemplifies the best of what we could hope for in the new retail coming back downtown Muskegon.

SS: You're welcome.

Check it out on the web

Women’s Club Historic Marker

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home